I know, I’m an American, I should talk. When I visited South Africa, I was shocked at the number of guns, and I am from Brooklyn, New York. I don’t shock easily. Now, I live in Tucson, Arizona, where guns are easier to obtain. I still saw more firearms in South Africa.
The day I arrived, my friends took me to their local country club, in the area they lived in between Johannesburg and Pretoria. We sat down at the bar and the bartender said, “We are taking up a collection for Valentine (one of the waiters). My friend Laurie’s eyebrows shot up. ”What happened to Valentine?”
Turns out, there was an attempt to rob the place. One bad guy dead, one captured, one shot Valentine to death on the way out.
I was hosted in a gated home. I walked alone outside the gate once to walk down to the shops. I saw how afraid people were.
One day I will post my entire adventures there. Thinking about returning. Please see the following links.
- A Pistorius Lot is not a Happy One. (iamanauthorimustauth.wordpress.com)
- Who is Oscar Pistorius really? (iol.co.za)
- Pistorius holding memorial service for slain girlfriend (worldnews.nbcnews.com)
- A Plea Bargain for Pistorius? (newyorker.com)
- Oscar Pistorious now a mystery to those who covered him (metronews.ca)
- Pistorius’ brother charged with homicide (upi.com)
- ‘In South Africa the truth is this: guns are us’ (steppaz1961.wordpress.com)
- Oscar Pistorius and The Media (africasacountry.com)