I already reviewed this on Goodreads, but wanted to give a more philosophical view here.
First of all, the author of How Civilizations Die, David P. Goldman, writes about the German philosopher Oswald Spengler. So having read Spengler is a prerequisite. (I sound like a college course catalog now).
OK, well how DO civilizations die? Besides being wiped out, lack of human reproduction.
Mr. Goldman’s examples led me to conclude two things:
1. Religious people=higher birth rate.
2. Literate women=lower birth rate.
I don’t think Mr. Goldman was preaching for women to be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen, nor am I. This was just what I concluded when I broke the book down.
- “People of faith have many children” (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Spengler on Ron Paul (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Spengler: You are dying (beowulfjournal.wordpress.com)