When I received my DNA from Ancestry.Com. I found out I am 2% undetermined, and 23% Eastern European. I will start with the 2% undetermined. A friend, had her DNA tested by both Ancestry.Com and the National Geographic Genome Project. She told me the 2% is probably Neanderthal. I always knew I was a big ape, but this is insane. (Sorry, we know now, Neanderthals were not that stupid, but I couldn’t resist. I do have the body build and lots of black hair, though. Haven’t tried to kill any large game with a spear lately). My friend actually found out she is 1.7% Neanderthal and 1.3% Denisovan (Denisova, have only been know about since March, 2010. The remains were found in a cave in the Altai Mountains in Central Asia). That may prove interesting.
OK, enough for the digression. Twenty-three percent Eastern European in my case probably means Slavic. Seemingly unusual, because I’ve read (not sure how true it is), most Ashkenazic Jews didn’t mix with the local population.
I’m assuming said Eastern European ancestry is Slavic, but that remains to be seen.
- My Initial Ancestry.com Results. (iamanauthorimustauth.wordpress.com)
- Our Neanderthal Cousins (23andme.com)
- More On 23andMe’s Neanderthal Lab (23andme.com)
- Find Your Inner Neanderthal (23andme.com)
- A Eastern European Single Woman Wants To Meet You (olgausachova123.wordpress.com)
- Cave Royalties? For My Neanderthal Clan? (flimsyfacts.wordpress.com)
- Ancestry at 23andMe: New Insights for Sheridan (23andme.com)
- Ancestry at 23andMe: Sheridan’s Got Relatives (23andme.com)