Eastern Europe has had a turbulent history. Constant war, invasion, being part of someone else’s empire etc.
Much of how my life goes involves baseball. Not really a surprise, for those who know me.
I thought for a warped moment or two, which baseball team most fits the travails of Eastern Europe.
I got it, the Boston Red Sox!
Yes, I get it. they are starting their third World Series in a decade tomorrow, but look at the eighty-six year drought. The American League for decades was dominated by a team, that could have played the role of one of Europe’s major empires. (I normally think in terms of Poland, but can expand this).
Picture the Red Sox as the scrappy rebels, failing most of the time, but never quitting. Then 1981, or 1991 happens and liberation.
Then again, I’ve also been known to place the Red Sox in the role of Ireland vs. Britain, but that is another underdog story. Tune in, for more silly look at history and the world in general.
- Boston Strong: Red Sox ride wave of good feelings (boston.com)
- Sensational Sox on the Brink of Brilliance (bostonsportsdesk.wordpress.com)
- Chicago baseball: a crosstown rivalry with a shot of disappointment (srschmidtblog.wordpress.com)
- God’s Baseball Team (christianovercomer.wordpress.com)
- History and Fun Facts About the New York Baseball Teams (local.answers.com)